Hawler Medical University
Nazar P Shabila has MSc degree in Public Health in Developing Countries from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and PhD in Community Medicine from Hawler Medical University. He is an assistant professor of public health at Hawler Medical University, Erbil, Iraq. He teaches different courses including epidemiology of communicable disease, health economics, health information and demography. He has more than 50 publications. His current research work is mainly related to health services research, women’s and reproductive health and conflict and health. Before pursuing the academic career, he established seven years of experience in the humanitarian relief field through working with the ICRC and UNOPS-IDPs Project on addressing the needs of the internally displaced people.
Nazar Shabila has more than 50 publications. His current research work is mainly related to health services research, women’s and reproductive health and conflict and health.
Google Scholar h-index: 14, i10-index: 15
- A qualitative assessment of women’s perspectives and experience of female genital mutilation in Iraqi Kurdistan Region. BMC Women's Health 2019; 19:66.
- Pattern of congenital anomalies at birth and their correlations with maternal characteristics in the maternity teaching hospital, Erbil city, Iraq. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2018; 18:501.
- Knowledge and perspectives of female genital cutting among the local religious leaders in Erbil governorate, Iraqi Kurdistan region. Reproductive Health 2018; 15(1): 44.
- An An outbreak of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Erbil governorate of Iraqi Kurdistan Region in 2015. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries 12018; 2(08):600-607.
- Overview and outcome of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: Experience of a single developing country’s oncology centre. PLoS ONE 2018; 13(4): e0195629.
- Mortality and Kidnapping Estimates for the Yazidi Population in the Area of Mount Sinjar, Iraq in August 2014: A Retrospective Household Survey. PLOS Medicine 2017, 14(5):e1002297.
- Prevalence of non-communicable diseases and access to health care and medications among Yazidis and other minority groups displaced by ISIS into the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Conflict and Health 2017; 11:4.
- Daily living activities among geriatric residents at geriatric homes in Erbil and Sulaimaniyah cities, Kurdistan Region. Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences 2017; 21(1):1619-1628.
- Rates and trends in cesarean sections between 2008 and 2012 in Iraq. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2017; 17:22 .
- Women’s Knowledge of the Domestic Violence Legislation in Erbil, Iraq and their Response to Spousal Violence. Journal of Family Violence 2017; 32(1):47-53.
May 2012 PhD Community Medicine Hawler Medical University, Erbil, Iraq
Thesis: Assessment of Iraqi primary healthcare system using a multimodal method
Sep 2007 MSc Public Health in Developing Countries London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London, UK
Thesis: The feasibility of evaluating the effectiveness of mine risk education programs
Jul 1993 MBChB (Medical Doctor) Salahaddin University, Erbil, Iraq
Epidemiology of communicable disease, Health economics, Health Information, Demography
Capacity building in biorisk management – CRDF Global
IREX Iraqi University Linkage program, Capacity building of faculty staff in women’s health research field -2015
Mortality and health survey among the internally displaced persons in Kurdistan region of Iraq – Middle East Centre – London School of Economics. 2015
The American Academic Research Institute in Iraq (TAARII) - Iraqi Scholars Fellowships Project. 2012.
Developing student centred learning at Hawler Medical University, Iraq with the University of Glasgow. 2010-2011.
Development of clinical skills in Hawler Medical University with Cardiff University. 2010-2011
Associate editor of BMC International Health and Human Rights
Editorial board member of Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences
- View Private Records