With the support of HOPES-Higher and Further Education Opportunities and Perspectives for Syrians, Hawler Medical University has established a psychosocial support center. The center provides psychosocial services to the Syrian refugee students in the different universities in Erbil city and students from the host community. Any student facing a psychological or social problem related to displacement, trauma or difficulties in integration in the new educational environment can visit the center to receive the necessary care and advice.
The psychosocial support center provides the following key activities:
- Provision of psychosocial awareness and education services to the Syrian refugee students and the host community.
- Assessment of the psychological status and needs of the students.
- Diagnosing psychiatric problems if present.
- Assessment and diagnosing effects of the experienced traumas.
- Diagnosing and treating psychiatric disorders.